Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Live Dangerously (When Important)

My old college mentor Robert used to always sign off by saying, "Take care, and live dangerously (when important)." I think my adventures this weekend would definitely make Robert proud. After visiting Botswana, I went to Zambia's famous natural attraction -- the spectacular Victoria Falls in Livingstone, spanning both the Zambian and Zimbabwean borders and pooling waters from the great Zambezi River. Since it's rainy season here, the falls were even more full and lush than usual, and two of my friends accompanied me on the trip out to the falls. We walked the perimeter of the falls and got so soaked! I could have sworn it was actually raining, but it was just torrential downpour from the mist of the falls itself. We were trying to be all cool at first and claim we wouldn't need to rent a raincoat for 5000 Kwacha (~$1), but once we made it to the bridge that runs parallel to the falls, we realized how dumb we were being and got suited up. It was well worth the price especially since I got soaked anyway through two layers of raingear. The water was actually ricocheting up from the ground and we were getting sprayed from all directions, but it was awesome!

Then...the "live dangerously (when important)" moment came around. I decided to bite the financial budget bullet and go for the microlight ride over the falls which I had heard was incredible (confirmed!). If you haven't heard of microlight vehicles (also called ultralight aeroplanes), various DIY models have popped up since the 1900s, but the licensed one that I rode on was basically like a hang-glider wing attached to two lawn chair-like seats and a small engine and it's weight-shift controlled! It's just you and the pilot, and they don't even strap you down. You just hold on to the handles on the sides and prop up your legs and up you go! It was hilarious because I was just briefly chatting with the pilot Brian before we took off (after realizing what I had signed up for), and I had made the mistake of asking him how long he had been flying the microlights. I was preparing to be comforted before the flight thinking he would say, "Oh...12 years or so" like most of the guides I've been exposed to have said. But this young guy was different, he said...ONE WEEK. Haha, I thought he was joking with me, but after I disembarked I asked a couple of the employees there, and they confirmed that he really had only been flying the microlights for a week. I had to take a moment to absorb the news. He was extremely skilled though, and it was really a once in a lifetime experience and of course, I had made it down safely, so I had to have a good chuckle about it. (I later found out that actually he had been flying helicopters previously. Different, of course, but he had a lot of piloting experience, pheew. :)) Anyway, the ride was only 15 minutes long, but I'll certainly remember it forever. They don't actually let you take a camera on the flight, but they take pictures from a digital camera hooked onto the wing tip. It was such an amazing experience seeing the great span of the falls, the Zambian and Zimbabwean countryside and nearby Mosi-oa-Tunya park from that height. I even saw an elephant crossing the river, and it looked so small. It was very humbling to think how incredibly small I would be down there. The shadow of our craft looked like a tiny little eagle in the sky, and I quite liked that imagery too. Anyway, enjoy!! Would be happy to share more of the pics in person when I get home, but for now -- here it is!





2 comments:

  1. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ACTUALLY FLEW IN THAT THING! That doesn't look safe at all. You definitely are the great adventurer of the family now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha -- that is exactly what Finky said too! Yeah, was a bit unnerving when it flew into the aerodrome, and I saw it for the first time. I had to take a big gulp. And another big one when we had turbulence in the air -- there was so much wind! But what a rush! Felt glad I hadn't mentioned it to Mom or Dad until I landed, hahah. :)

    ReplyDelete