Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Land of a Thousand Hills

Howdy all! I had my main presentation this morning! I think it went pretty darn well considering the fact that I had more than a few technical snafus: could not get the Internet network to connect (meaning I did not have access to the program that I was going to train the lab on, hah), the Mac adaptor available didn't fit my MacBook (meaning I couldn't project what I did have on my computer to the projector screen) and apparently my external hard-drive only works on Macs (of which there are few in our neck of the woods). But that being said, with a little quick improvisation, we made it work! And I think the talk was well-received. Everyone at the clinic is really interested in our research at the Hunter lab, so keep up the good work, guys! :)

Kigali is surprisingly safe. I feel pretty comfortable walking around by myself after 3 days here (minding general caution). Our place is near "downtown" Kigali, so that has been convenient for grocery runs, etc. I have really liked walking around daily (don't get a whole lot of that back in ATL), and with the hills and altitude, it's been a nice leisurely built-in workout. Because the entire staff at the clinic/lab is so well-versed in English and everyone seems very amused with my attempts at Kinyarwanda, regretfully, my French has taken a bit of a back-seat. My roomies have a private French tutor that comes to the house bi-weekly, but despite my crash course in French (via Lonely Planet), I was relatively lost post general greetings and exchange of names :) I'll work on it. On a completely random note, I wish that Dijon mustard was cheaper. It's nearly $6/jar. (Decided to go with the old spicy brown mustard in the fridge instead.) Until next time!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Debby,

    Glad to hear that you made it safely and your first couple of days have gone well. Technology snafus seem to be a way of life there, and it appears you got through them with grace and a positive attitude. Keep up the good work! Even though everyone is well-versed in English, it's still fun to try a few words in the local language, isn't it? I know it always makes me feel like less of an outsider when I do. I look forward to reading your posts and send you well wishes and prayers for a safe and productive stay. Take care. Love, Mrs. H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sis!

    Glad that Kilgali is nice! Hope you are having a great time. I was surprised to read that the French translation for "Is this where the drag queens hang out" from Lonely Planet didn't come in handy. Anyway, keep up the good work and stay safe.

    Love, Jenz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement, Mrs. H! And Joe, I believe the phrase that Lonely Planet prepares you for in their French phrasebook is, "I am a drag queen" It is one of the three professions presented in that section of the book, among the company of businessman and chef. :) Gotta run, Kinyarwanda lesson calls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're learning the native language? That's crazy!

    ReplyDelete